Working for one of the largest agricultural businesses in the world might seem like an unlikely career for a fourth generation city girl, but if you’ve ever talked to Janice Person you know it makes perfect sense. At her core, Janice is a storyteller and has built a career telling farmers’ stories and helping them tell their own story. In her current role as online engagement director at Monsanto, Janice uses storytelling to help people in online spaces better understand agriculture.
In this episode, Janice discusses the power of storytelling when engaging with consumers, bloggers, foodies and parents alike.
Also discussed in this episode:
- Working with people in a variety of tribes, from agriculture to foodies and more.
- How she built her personal and professional brand by being the same person online and offline, and not limiting what she shared to the agriculture industry.
- Encouraging students to start making content and putting it out into the world and create a portfolio for themselves.
- Monsanto’s work to empower employees to share their story and the company’s story.
- Handling tough questions and criticism by listening, asking questions and sharing experiences.
- Making yourself open to different opinions in a world where social media feeds you more of what it knows you want and agree with.
- Investing in good journalism.
- Networking by finding and sharing things that are of value to others.
Herdmark Media, Inc. is a digital storytelling agency specializing in creating content for agricultural brands and businesses.